AFRO-NETS> World Development Report 2004: Making Services Work for Poor People

World Development Report 2004: Making Services Work for Poor People

Download full draft (as Adobe PDF files, packed with pkzip - 3.9
MB) at:
http://econ.worldbank.org/files/26324_2004wdrdraft.zip

or chapter by chapter at:
http://econ.worldbank.org/wdr/wdr2004/text-18786/

The World Development Report 2004 will investigate how countries
can accelerate progress towards the Millennium Development Goals
(MDGs) by making services work for poor people.

Success in reaching the MDGs will depend not just on faster eco-
nomic growth and the flow of sources, but on our ability to
translate those resources into basic services, especially in
health, education, water, and sanitation. Too often, the delivery
of services falls far short of what could be achieved, especially
for the poor.

The reasons include: weak incentives for performance, corruption,
imperfect monitoring (if at all), and administrative logjams.
Some countries have tried to address the problem, especially by
involving poor people in service delivery. When this has hap-
pened, the results have been impressive. Giving parents voice
over their children's education, patients a say over hospital
management, making agency budgets transparent -- all contribute
to improving outcomes in human development.

Celebrating the successful innovations while taking a hard look
at some of the failures, and learning from both, the Report will
attempt to guide policymakers, donors, and citizens on improving
the delivery of basic services. In this way we can also deepen
our understanding of empowering and investing in poor people.