AFRO-NETS> The World Trade Organization's 5th Ministerial Conference - Cancun, Mexico

The World Trade Organization's 5th Ministerial Conference - Cancun, Mexico

STATEMENT BY THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

The recent WTO decision on access to affordable medicines is an
encouraging move by WTO Members to implement the TRIPS Agreement
to the benefit of public health.

One of our greatest challenges today is to make antiretrovirals
available to the more than six million people in need of immedi-
ate treatment for HIV/AIDS in developing countries. At the same
time in many countries, we must tackle other diseases such as ma-
laria, whose victims are mostly children, and tuberculosis. A key
element in this work is also to boost health systems and delivery
mechanisms for medicines.

WHO will work with Member States, WTO and other partners on the
implementation of the new agreement and to monitor progress.

In addition to TRIPS, the WTO agreements that have implications
for public health are: Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures (SPS),
Trade in Services (GATS) and Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT).
The health issues most relevant to these include: food safety,
cross-border spread of infectious diseases and SPS; health ser-
vices and GATS; health norms and standards and TBT.

We believe an overall goal is to help countries achieve greater
coherence between trade and health policy so that trade rules
maximize health benefits and minimize the risks, especially for
poor and vulnerable populations.

The global health situation has improved during the last 50
years. But the successes are sometimes reversed. WHO hopes that
the Cancun meeting will be a significant step towards a brighter
future with greater health equity.

D. Bagozzi
mailto:bagozzid@who.int