AFRO-NETS> New reproductive technologies and infertility treatment in Africa (2)

New reproductive technologies and infertility treatment in Africa (2)

Infertility treatment in Africa - current knowledge

Comprehensive Treatment for infertility does not reach the poor,
while rich people have access to increasingly sophisticated and
controversial techniques. This is a North/South issue, but also
an issue within poorer countries. Care in the private sector is
most often only for the rich, and infertility affects also poor
people due to poor protection from conventional STD, malnutrition
and other infections. Infertile people at many places in Africa
are at high risk of HIV/AIDS, they risk divorce or abandonment,
and it is a social disaster for some. Infertility care is one of
the most unfairly distributed health care packages in the world!

I am part of a large research network or team that have been try-
ing to look at various issues regarding infertility in Africa and
developing countries for some time. Dr. Okonofua - the author of
the referred editorial is part of this team. His conclusions are
sad, but true.

But the new technologies are tempting for desperate patients who
may use all their savings to utilize this form or treatment. We
had an international conference in India last year that confirmed
that patients seem to use a lot of money on unsuccessful treat-
ments. The proceedings may be accessed through Dr. Sayed Unisa,
Indian Population Institute:
http://www.unescap.org/pop/popin/profiles/ind/ind.htm

One additional problem of the issue is of course that even ele-
mentary, cheap and simple interventions at the primary care level
have not really been addressed. And nobody seems to really want
to fund such research. Some of us had planned to do research to
develop a basic infertility package within reproductive health
approaches. But we could not find a funder. For instance, in the
most recent call from EU's research program INCO, the topic was
reproductive health, but the spelled out issues were maternal
health, unsafe abortion, and contraceptive use. They are also im-
portant, but so is infertility, especially for those affected. So
our research group, who had formulated an EU application, could
not apply.

If someone is interested in further reading about the issue from
a global perspective, I would recommend a few books:

Inhorn & van Balen: Infertility around the globe, Univ. of Cali-
fornia Press 2002.

Boerma & Mgalla: Women and Infertility in sub-saharan Africa (KIT
press, 2001).

Balen, Gerrits & Inhorn: Social Science research on childlessness
in a global perspective (Univ of Amsterdam 2000).

--
Dr. Johanne Sundby
Ass. Prof., OB/GYN