AFRO-NETS> Introducing The Supply Initiative

Introducing The Supply Initiative
---------------------------------

The Supply Initiative (http://www.rhsupplies.org) is a new ini-
tiative, whose aim is to ensure that every man and woman, regard-
less of age, can exercise his/her right to choose, obtain, and
use quality affordable reproductive health supplies. The goal is
to strengthen and maximize the availability and efficient use of
human, institutional and financial resources for reproductive
health supplies.

To ensure that this mission is met, the initiative needs input
from countries/regions experiencing a need for or shortage of re-
productive health supplies.

Here is one story, which has been shared with us:

"I am the president of the Society for Women Against AIDS (SWAA)
in Mauritania, which was founded in 1992. This organization has a
large problem concerning the shortage of contraceptives, espe-
cially of condoms. We are tremendously lacking contraceptives and
we have been in direct contact with many communities regarding
this problem. The young people visit us daily asking for condoms.
The endowment we receive from the national program in the fight
against AIDS is 20 packages each containing 100 condoms.

"I should be very obliged to you for any information on organiza-
tions, which donate condoms. As you know, Mauritania is a sub-
Saharan country and we urgently seek help in the fight against
HIV/AIDS and family planning assistance".

We would appreciate it if you would share your stories regarding
RH supplies or shortages.

Meghan Cloud
mailto:meghan.cloud@dsw-hannover.de