AFRO-NETS> Architecture for Humanity featured in today's New York Times (2)

Architecture for Humanity featured in today's New York Times (2)

Dear Cameron and All,

Hello and huge congratulations to you, Cameron, as I have no doubt
this is just the kind of publicity needed to help attract donors and
others to your work. I am hoping that some of the ICASA participants
will view the clinic at Kibera, and I have copied to some in hopes
that they will (one a friend at Physicians for Human Rights). Also,
some of our friends and colleagues in Kenya generally.

A few weeks ago, you indicated that letters, e-mails, or any type of
supporting document which might indicate the need for such clinics
should be written and sent to you, so I thought I would urge folks to
do that now again (and will put my money where my mouth is in a week
or so, at least in terms of writing, haha!), and send to Cameron at
the address below.

I am also wondering, as we discussed a possible sports connection a
few weeks ago, if the National Soccer Association here could be ap-
proached (they have already expressed interest in supporting teams in
Kenya, and perhaps they would be willing to consider some tie-in, as
well as soccer teams elsewhere, and is there an international soccer
federation (I say, betraying my baseball roots) which could be ap-
proached? Then the NY Times writer you mentioned would have a field
day (pun intended, haha!) covering all of these various events, and
the HIV/AIDS education and prevention messages would spread far and
wide (not just by reporting, but by teams of all varieties, from the
professional sports teams to the youth leagues at the grassroots, and
a pitch at every clinic), along with better healthcare due to the
abundance of mobile clinics being replicated worldwide!  I can speak
with (and will cc here too) the ARYI (African Regional Youth Initia-
tive) co-founder and a friend, Neema Mgana, who first contacted the
NSA for donations to a CBO in Kenya, and perhaps there might be fur-
ther discussions of this idea, at least.

Organizations like the Izumi Foundation and Africare might be inter-
ested in such an idea, and how about the Elton John AIDS Foundation,
or AMREF? And European foundations might be more receptive, as they
seem to be with "innovative" ideas, so I can give you some ideas on
that as well if interested. Also, there are competitions which are
mainly ICT-related (and I just thought of this because of the word
"mobile"...I assume you will have some ICT components to this
clinic?), and a couple which are oriented towards sustainable devel-
opment (these upcoming this fall/winter, or next spring, like the
Digital Partners/SEL competition), so that might be a possibility,
and even a place like MIT (by which I mean a university which prides
itself on innovation and invention) might be interested. It's terri-
fic that the government of Kenya has taken such interest, as govern-
ment involvement might help in this regard (especially from institu-
tions which lend to governments, not organizations). I am also ccing
to friend in the real-estate field about this, as he has some money-
making ideas connected to helping HIV/AIDS orphans which might be ap-
plied to this concept as well.

I'll be happy to discuss this further with you, and also there are a
couple of organisations in SA I know who I am sure would be thrilled
and honoured to be in on the discussions about a clinic, as well as
in Kenya and elsewhere too, of course.

With greatest thanks for this invaluable vision and offer, Cameron,
and a big congrats for this timely and well-deserved notice!!

Your cheering section,

Janet Feldman (and the "Millions for Mobiles")
mailto:kaippg@earthlink.net