AFRO-NETS> WHO and ARV access (4)

WHO and ARV access (4)
----------------------

I agree with Maija Palander that availability of ARVs to the public
is quite different from sustaining the programme as the costs beyond
that of the drugs need to be seriously considered. I would add to the
list the cost of monitoring operations, drugs efficacy, side effects
etc. It would be interesting to note the perceptions of members of
the public who demand ARVs - whether they perceive it as similar to
common antibiotics such as using Amoxycillin for respiratory tract
infections. I am not against any ARV programme for the public. I
would just like us to be cautious so as to maximally benefit our pub-
lic and sustain effective long-term programmes.

Dr. Muhsin Sheriff
Dar es Salaam
Tanzania
mailto:msheriff@cats-net.com