Job Opportunity: Information Officer - SAfAIDS
Southern Africa AIDS Information Dissemination Service (SAfAIDS) is
looking for an Information Officer to join its team.
The Information Officer needs to be a dynamic, creative individual
who makes use of all resources and systems available to them to ef-
fectively communicate information about HIV and AIDS in the region.
The IO will be a team player who will work with every programme unit
at SAfAIDS to develop and coordinate the dissemination of HIV/AIDS
information via the Internet, e-mail, publications and presentations.
Based in Harare, Zimbabwe, the IO will be responsible for:
a) Coordinating and managing the content of SAfAIDS web site;
b) Responding to information requests;
c) Monitoring and evaluating information requests and the use of the
web site as a tool for disseminating information;
d) Researching new IT developments and build SAfAIDS capacity to dis-
The Information officer needs to have a relevant degree with five
years experience in journalism or communications.
Specific skills required include:
1) Highly skilled in the development and delivery of multi-media
presentations for a range of activities, seminars, workshops and
2) Extensive knowledge and experience using MS PowerPoint.
Internet and E-mail
1) Extensive knowledge and experience using the Internet;
2) Knowledge and experience using email and email discussion forums
as communication tools;
3) Sufficient knowledge of computer networking and ISPs to allow for
4) Experience and ability to facilitate and build the capacity of
other staff members and individuals to use the Internet and e-mail
as communication tools.
Writing Skills and Web Publication
1) Excellent writing skills and ability to develop brief reports,
newsflashes, e-mail forum postings. Experience using computer
software programmes such as MS Office 2000;
2) Proven experience and skills in web design and web maintenance.
Preferred experience with Web Design Applications like Frontpage
Express. Knowledge of Publishing tools (DTP) and Graphic Design
3) Knowledge and experience in marketing and evaluating web sites;
4) Experience in database management and database hosting via the
World Wide Web;
5) Ability to speak Portuguese would be an added advantage.
Competitive salary and benefits offered. (Please note no relocation
benefits will be given) To apply: please send a one-page cover letter
and a concise CV (max. six sides of A4), information about your cur-
rent salary and benefits, and contact details for three references
PO Box A509, Avondale
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Deadline for applications is 13 July, 2001.
Send mail for the `AFRO-NETS' conference to `<email@example.com>'.
Mail administrative requests to `<firstname.lastname@example.org>'.
For additional assistance, send mail to: `<email@example.com>'.