AFRO-NETS> Supercourse Newsletter, June 10th 2001

Supercourse Newsletter, June 10th 2001
--------------------------------------

http://www.pitt.edu/~super1/

Dear Friends:

The head of the NIH Fogarty Foundation has agreed to provide a lec-
ture. Fogarty is the center overseeing International Research and
Training at NIH.

We received excellent interest for the development of a system to
reach the last mile. We received a wonderful message from a good
friend, Hector Aris from Columbia. He sees important potential of
mini-courses created by you as these can be sent via e-mail, and cop-
ied to a floppy disc and then printed. He indicated that the power of
this will be, use these to teach the rural leader farmer with your
knowledge. As he indicated they have many sicknesses, which could be
prevented with better information. Many of you have joined to help
develop these. Cuba has been very successful developing such a system
by Pedro Urra, and help from PAHO through Carlos Gamboa.

Toronto Congress of Epidemiology 2001

Supercourse Meeting:
Date and Time: Friday, June 15, 2001, 7:30-9:30
Place: Crown Room, Westin Hotel

Epidemiology Congress 2001

We look forward to seeing you in Toronto.

We need some help in distributing CDs and fliers in Toronto. Please
contact us at the coffee breaks on Thursday and Friday.

We ordered 1,600 CDs which have 326 wonderful lectures on Epidemiol-
ogy, Global Health and Prevention. We will be giving these out at the
meetings (hopefully). At the morning coffee break on Thursday we will
hand out a flier about the Supercourse, which announces the distribu-
tion of the CDS and the meeting Friday night.

At the Friday coffee break with your help we plan to distribute your
lectures. We want to make sure that students and international fac-
ulty take priority, but we should have enough CDs. It will be close,
as the place that is burning our CDs will be express mailing them to
us.

The lectures are free. We provide these CDs to people if you agree
not to sell the lectures. Also we ask that you give copies to col-
league, friends, students, sons and daughters to spread top-quality
lectures worldwide. We would also like for you to think of the worst
lecture/class that you give each year. We would like you to add
slides from the Supercourse to "spice up" the lecture and give the
lecture more pizzazz. We all have a lecture that we hate to give
(mine is the epidemiology of leukemia which I find REALLY boring as
it is not my area or interest).

We would appreciate your help with distribution as well as coming to
the meeting on Friday Night. John Last, Akira Sekikawa, Eun Ryoung
Sa, and Ron LaPorte will interact with you to develop the future.

Please consider bringing something to eat, something to drink and a
CD of your talk to the Supercourse meeting Friday night. We value and
need your input.

Ron, Akira, Eun Ryoung, Faina, Benjamin, Beatriz, Fan, Eugene, Deb,
Tom, Mita
mailto:super3+@pitt.edu