AFRO-NETS> Re: Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report - Thu, 17 May 2001 (2)

Re: Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report - Thu, 17 May 2001 (2)

Hello Cecilia,

Thank you for this news:

<<The Harvard AIDS Institute has also partnered with the Botswana
government to research HIV type C at the public hospital in Gabarone
and is providing clinical care to patients with HIV/AIDS. The pro-
gram's "goal is to help develop models for providing antiretrovirals
safely.">>

This is the kind of news we'd like to read more often. Are there
plans to speed-up the construction of the medical school on the Bot-
swana university campus and to equip it with an AIDS research unit?
Will research staff at the state-of-the-art chemistry department of
the Botswana University be allowed to apply for AIDS research grants
(this department has a research focus on traditional medicine and lo-
cal medicinal plants)? What is the current position of the Botswana
University Vice-President Siberts on AIDS research (last year the
faculty of science had to my knowledge no current research tracks on
AIDS --> see http://www.ub.bw )?

Christian Labadie, M.S.
mailto:CLabadie@t-online.de