AFRO-NETS> 4th International Workshop on Kangaroo Mother Care (2)

4th International Workshop on Kangaroo Mother Care (2)

Excuse my ignorance, what is Kangaroo Mother Care?

Dr. Delanyo Dovlo
Advisor-MOHSS Management Training Project
PO Box 50661 Bachbrecht
Windhoek, Namibia
Tel: +264-61-203-3045
Fax: +264-811-256-072
mailto:dovlod@mweb.com.na

[From the Moderator:

"Kangaroo mother care (KMC) is defined as early, prolonged and con-
tinuous (as allowed by circumstances) skin-to-skin contact between a
mother and her newborn low birth weight infant (LBWI), both in hospi-
tal and after early (depending on circumstances) discharge, until at
least the 40th week of post-natal gestational age, with ideally ex-
clusive breastfeeding and proper follow-up."

The above citation is from the publication "Recommendations for the
implementation of kangaroo mother care for low birth weight infants"

by A Cattaneo, R Davanzo, F Uxa, G Tamburlini for the International
Network on Kangaroo Mother Care
Bureau for International Health
Istituto per l'Infanzia, Trieste, Italy

Acta Paediatr 1998; 87:440-5

I you have internet connection you can read the full text article at:
http://www.burlo.trieste.it/DIREZIONI/DirScien/cooperazione/KMC.html

If you need more information use the Google search engine
<http://www.google.com> and enter Kangaroo Mother Care

--
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 James H. Irlam <james@rmh.uct.ac.za> announced the
availability of a new video about KMC on AFRO-NETS, see:

DN Mod.]