Vacancy - Senior Researcher, RHRU - South Africa
The Reproductive Health Research Unit (RHRU) and loveLife require a
Location: RHRU - Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, South Africa
The Reproductive Health Research Unit (RHRU) is a South African aca-
demic centre, dedicated to improving the sexual and reproductive
health of all people particularly the marginalized of society. The
RHRU responds to sexual and reproductive health priorities through
research, training, and capacity building in partnership with govern-
ments, communities and other organisations.
RHRU is a consortium partner of loveLife, a comprehensive multi-
media, health promotion and service initiative aimed at combating the
spread of HIV infections amongst adolescents. A major evaluation of
the epidemic and the role of loveLife in combating the spread of HIV
are being undertaken over the next five years by RHRU in collabora-
tion with Cambridge University (UK).
RHRU wishes to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced candidate to
lead the loveLife research team. The candidate will manage a multi-
disciplinary research team in the design, execution, analysis and
documentation of the evaluation study and liaison with national and
Essential selection criteria:
* PhD in social sciences, epidemiology or public health or a PhD near
completion. Candidates with MA degrees and equivalent experience
(demonstrated by appropriate peer reviewed publications) will also be
* Track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
* Computer skills necessary to conduct research and analysis of study
* Demonstrated experience in team leadership and capacity building of
* Demonstrated experience in managing teams with diverse cultural and
* High-level interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate dif-
* National and international travel and a driver's license is re-
* Demonstrated commitment to the delivery of sustainable sexual and
reproductive health programmes for all South Africans
Desirable selection criteria:
* 5 years post-graduate experience in the research studies in related
fields such as public health, epidemiology, demography or sociology
preferably in the area of sexual and reproductive health.
* Experience in qualitative data analysis software (e.g.:
* Knowledge and experience of qualitative and quantitative research
* Coordination of all phases of research from conceptualization
through to implementation, analysis and presentation.
* Provide leadership to research staff and ensure that staff are sup-
ported to develop their research skills and research management capa-
* Coordinate the compilation of high quality and timely reports to
* Liaison with national and international collaborators.
* Coordinate information sharing between researches.
* Prepare funding proposals, budgets etc.
* Draft research proposals and scholarly papers and present findings
at conferences and publication in journals.
The initial contract will be for 2 years.
Closing date is: 28 May, 2001. Only candidates short-listed for in-
terviews will be contacted. Please send a CV addressing EACH of the
essential selection criteria + cover letter to:
The Human Resource Manager
Reproductive Health Research Unit
Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital
P O Bertsham 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
For more information contact:
Dr Kim Dickson-Tetteh
Send mail for the `AFRO-NETS' conference to `<email@example.com>'.
Mail administrative requests to `<firstname.lastname@example.org>'.
For additional assistance, send mail to: `<email@example.com>'.