AFRO-NETS> 1st Conference for people living with HIV/AIDS in Kenya (2)

1st Conference for people living with HIV/AIDS in Kenya (2)

Kaia Beck posted this reply on <PrevGES@egroups.com>

There is a response to the AIDS epidemic among our youth that is
right in line with their seeing famine in Ethiopia... What is the
meaning of desensitization, is the media responsible for their mes-
sages and fueling the fire of glamorization; the sexy nature of vio-
lence is sold right next to everything else in our country (and oth-
ers). This is a debate that I have with myself, what constitutes edu-
cation on cable television? Are the youth of today themselves respon-
sible for their perceptions when they are constantly bombarded with
"happiness" from the (capitalist infested) media... I don't know per-
sonally how all of the teenage viewers feel about AIDS or Elian for
that matter, I think there is not enough education nor background
historical information available with the soundbites that we eat. As
long as we can find additional sources of information than I think
that these shows have strong potential for positive effect. I give
lectures at Universities as a means for providing this additional in-
formation about myself and some of the issues that MTV addresses on
"The Real World". I am deeply interested to work with college stu-
dents to better answer some of these questions. Hopefully my study in
the coming months will address some of them.

Kaia

--
Christian Labadie
Research trends towards the prevention of social violence