AFRO-NETS> RFI: MDs employed by the State and private health sector (4)

RFI: MDs employed by the State and private health sector (4)

Dear Dr Christian,

Thank you for your message.

I guess that you mission was in Benin. If it is not the case, I can
tell you that Benin is facing similar problem. A small study con-
ducted for the World Bank in 1999 in Cotonou revealed that there is a
lot of problems to solve. The first one is the regulation. There is
no clear regulation for the health sector as the government failed to
provide essential care for long. During that study (in which I par-
ticipated), many private practitioners have point out the issue of
"illegal competition" of state employed health staffs and feel that
they are not consulted for any decision in the sector.

The second issue is the salary in the public sector in general and in
the health sector in particular.

I don't know who you are working for. If you contact Mr Fran?ois Le-
caillet! (I am not sure of the last name) in World Bank you can get
more information on that study.

I will be happy if I can contribute in any way to your information.

Good luck.

Omer A. Mensah
Research Student
Health Policy Unit
Lodon school of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Keppel Street
London, WC1E 7HT
Tel: +44-207-927-2284 (O)
Tel: +44-207-813-2825 (H)