AFRO-NETS> Follow up on the Lancet letter

Follow up on the Lancet letter
------------------------------

[see AFRO-NETS> Letter to The Editor: State of International Nutrition
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:11:33 -0400 (EDT)]

THE DIFFERENT CHALLENGES IN COMBATING MICRONUTRIENT DEFICIENCIES AND
COMBATING PROTEIN ENERGY MALNUTRITION OR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
NUTRITION ENGINEERS AND NUTRITION ACTIVISTS.

The time has come for the nutrition community to more clearly separate
micronutrient interventions from Protein Energy Malnutrition (PEM) in-
terventions and to treat them as two completely different entities, two
totally different challenges, addressing two different universes. In
short, they represent two separate domains.

More than before, in the last six to eight years, a significant number
of nutrition workers have chosen to focus their efforts on the allevia-
tion of micronutrient deficiencies. This is also true for many donor
agencies working in nutrition. One can rightly wonder if this repre-
sents an attempt to 'run away' from the more difficult choices and
challenges in the battle against (the real) malnutrition and -- in the
name of nutrition -- focusing more on its more achievable areas of im-
pact thus choosing the relatively easier path to staying involved in
nutrition work.

Often, this micronutrient focus represents swings from earlier work in
PEM. Examples of these swings in assigning priority to micronutrients
can be seen in USAID's Office of Nutrition work, quite a bit of the nu-
trition work of UNICEF and other bilateral donors and the work of the
new Micronutrients Initiative (the latter not a real swing, but a fresh
start riding this new wave of preference or new mood among many of our
nutrition colleagues).

The difference between both areas of concentration in nutrition work is
based on a matter of balance between an endeavor that is primarily
technical with only few political overtones, and one that is the oppo-
site: primarily political with some added important technical chal-
lenges. The former endeavor does have a potential for silver bullet so-
lutions to work; the latter does not (and nutritionists seem to like
silver bullets indeed...).

What we are talking about here is not an academic nuance only. This,
because the solutions to PEM are greatly outside the field of nutrition
itself and those for micronutrients are mostly inside the realm of what
we can do technically. As a consequence, both these endeavors or compo-
nents of nutrition work have to adopt different strategies and require
different skills, approaches and tactics.

Colleagues that get involved in micronutrients work get absorbed in re-
solving mostly immediate and only some underlying causes of undernutri-
tion (PEM), but they rarely touch its basic causes. (UNICEF, 1990) They
also address more top down than bottom up programmatic challenges (e.g.
management issues, distribution logistics, food technology issues,
etc.).

Staff involved in micronutrient work traditionally lobby for policy
changes which are less controversial, less political, and tend to get
easier support from national decision-makers. Examples of such policies
are: adding a Vitamin A component to EPI plans, pushing nutrient forti-
fication or salt iodisation legislation and regulations. (UNICEF, 1997)

When applying IEC techniques in micronutrient work, especially to
change the dietary habits of a population (in terms of diet diversifi-
cation) or the behavior of pregnant/lactating mothers, our colleagues
face many more problems in succeeding, precisely because all the socio-
economic issues come to the fore (the same issues encountered in the
battle against PEM); they are simply less well equipped (or less in
control/less inclined) to handle those issues. Too often nutritionists
end up teaching mothers to feed themselves and their families what they
cannot afford, or -- using social marketing techniques -- they seek me-
chanical changes in behavior without the people's understanding of why
these changes are needed and beneficial to them; social marketing sim-
ply fails to put people more in control of their own lives. (Schuftan,
1996) Examples of this are found in the use of social marketing tech-
niques in quite a few countries to promote the consumption of dietary
sources of Vitamin A -- an alternative whose effectiveness is, by the
way, questioned by many experts.

Combating PEM is about poverty alleviation -- not economic growth (as
many development programs push these days) -- it is about equity, popu-
lar participation and wealth redistribution, about access to health and
to education; it is about the appropriate care women and children get.
All these variables are adversely affected by pervasive Structural Ad-
justment Programs worldwide. [The relationships between structural ad-
justment programs, poverty and PEM do not need to be insisted upon here
yet again]. (See Werner and Sanders, 1997)

The above are the scenarios, then, that colleagues embarking in the
battle against malnutrition will, by necessity, have to face and become
more involved in.

As said, micronutrient deficiencies can (and do) respond when tackling
immediate causes of malnutrition only, especially if well funded and
well targeted: "get that capsule/pill/fortified salt into the mouth of
beneficiaries, and it is done". And that is good; deaths and suffering
related to those deficiencies are averted; no quarrel with that. (See
ACC/SCN, 1997) But this concentration cannot be morally justified at
the expense of postponing or foregoing actions to tackle PEM.

Conversely, PEM does not respond unless its immediate, underlying and
basic causes are tackled simultaneously, i.e. interventions at each in-
dividual level are necessary, but not sufficient. (UNICEF, 1990)

As relates to sustainability, because micronutrient strategies so heav-
ily depend on government (and donor) based service delivery and logis-
tic interventions and on only some capacity building at the various
levels, they very often do create dependency on a given technology and
on the continuation of centrally funded and centrally controlled serv-
ices. Ergo, sustainability remains elusive. [Note that very few coun-
tries massively distributing Vitamin A capsules at present could sus-
tain the effort if the donor(s) discontinue(s) its (their) support].

On the other hand, resolving PEM depends more on empowering people and
communities to get involved in actions selected by themselves and, al-
though not often achieved, this has the potential of creating less de-
pendence and more self reliance and sustainability. The example from
the UNICEF-sponsored Iringa (Tanzania) nutrition intervention in the
early eighties comes to mind)

Micronutrient interventions will foreseeably reach coverages in the 90%
range almost universally sometime in the early 21st century -- mainly
due to strong pushes by the donor community. (ACC/SCN, 1997) And then,
what? Will we see a switch back to PEM work (which by then will have
become worse)? PEM will not go away (or perhaps not even decrease) in
the next generation. The donor community involved in it pays more lip
service to needed basic changes than putting their money and actions
where their mouth is. And governments are not tackling these basic
problems on their own either. Moreover, macroeconomic policies imposed
by the Bretton Woods institutions are actually, more often than not,
acting against the alleviation of PEM. (Werner and Sanders, 1997)

I contend that nutritionists tend to choose tracks in their careers ac-
cording to their preference plus the level of tolerance of frustration
they can stand in their (nutrition) work. The question is: Do a politi-
cal ideology and ethical commitments also play a role in their choices
when faced with only snail pace progress? In other words, are ultimate
goals of social transformation part of the equation in their choice? If
the answer is 'no', I see a bleak future for the role our guild can
play in the battle against malnutrition in the world. Changes will come
about without and despite us; history will bypass us.

And I worry, because I see these future challenges that will have to be
faced by our young and upcoming colleagues not being clearly spelled
out in their curricula during their undergraduate and graduate train-
ing. Some say we are training less than engineers (Berg, 1995). I would
say we need more than engineers: we need nutrition activists.

Claudio Schuftan
Vietnam
mailto:<Aviva@netnam.org.vn>