AFRO-NETS> Africa Health Journal

Africa Health Journal
---------------------

Dear Afro-netters,

A few weeks ago I mentioned our journal Africa Health and some 25 peo-
ple contacted me for further details. Although published by a commer-
cial organisation (FSG MediMedia), we do regard ourselves as having a
mission, which is to supply African doctors with practical information
to help them in their day-to-day work. Because we take advertising, we
are able to supply African readers with the journal free of charge. We
have only a handful of readers outside Africa (who have to pay a sub-
scription fee) and, unfortunately, only a handful in francophone and
lusophone Africa, as we only publish in English.

I think a lot of people fail to realise that most African doctors do
not have access to medical journals, up-to-date textbooks and other
sources of information on how to treat specific conditions. Time and
again our readers tell us they do not want articles philosophising
about the health problems of Africa and what politicians and health
planners should be doing. They want severely practical information on
how to treat their patients. The information should of course be rele-
vant to doctors working in health facilities with severely limited re-
sources.

Each August we attempt to plan the topics which we will cover in our
feature articles the following year. Priorities always include: ma-
laria, AIDS, TB, reproductive health and child health. Increasingly we
try to include articles on the management of non-communicable disor-
ders, as their prevalence in Africa is increasing. But we also have re-
quests from readers for articles on specific topics. Recent requests
include the following.

'How-to-do-it' articles on various surgical procedures with limited re-
sources. Clinical management of tetanus. Clinical management of schis-
tosomiasis. Snakebite. Impotence. Drug addiction/substance abuse.

So, the purpose of this rather lengthy communication is to ask whether
anyone on the AFRO-NETS mailing list knows of anyone who could write
clinical articles about these topics for Africa Health. Please email me
on <paul@fsg.co.uk> if you have any useful contacts.

Many thanks.

Paul Chinnock
Editor Africa Health