AFRO-NETS> Agenda for Health Ministers Meeting

Agenda for Health Ministers Meeting
-----------------------------------

I have sent the following request to all AFRO-NETS subscribers for
assistance. Could you please contact Flo directly at:

Flo Harding <hardingf@commonwealth.int>

Dr. Neuvians,

Can you help please? Our next Health Ministers meeting will be on
health sector reforms and attached is a first attempt we have made of
the Health Ministers request of what issues they would like to have
discussed over the week in Barbados.

I would like to have some technical input please as to you or your
colleagues view on the attached. The comments we have received so far
are that we have artificially divided the topics which do not fit
quite into the headings. We need to look at all the components and
rearrange the layout and the format.

We are also looking for very good background papers on the topics to
initiate discussion at the meeting.

Yes, I am in a rush(!), would it be possible to have feedback by
Thursday lunchtime (GMT)?

You can just fax your comments to me...whatever.

I would be grateful please if you would circulate this as widely as
you can in the time given.

Sincerely,

Flo Harding
TSG, Health Department
Commonwealth Secretariat
London, UK
Tel & Fax: +44-171-747-6543
mailto:hardingf@commonwealth.int

--
HEALTH SECTOR REFORM IN THE INTEREST OF HEALTH FOR ALL

AGENDA ITEM 1

RATIONALE FOR SUSTAINABLE HEALTH SYSTEMS

Organisational change
- community empowerment and participation in health promotion and
  health care
- forms of decentralisation for strengthening primary health care
- human resource and capacity building
- recognition and remuneration of informal health care workers
- mainstreaming health in national and local public policy
- partnerships with private sector and NGOs
- partnerships with traditional systems of health
- development of legislation, training, research, intellectual prop-
  erty rights, guaranteeing supply
- gender management systems

Health systems research
- role of health systems research in health sector reforms
- effects of market forces on the health of the under privileged
- health sector reform and its impact on women and men, children and
  youth, the poor and those with disabilities
- policy framework to promote and protect the health of the under-
  privileged
- role of traditional health systems
- impact of globalisation
- ethics, effectiveness and efficacy of health systems

Health Information Management Systems
- sustainable health information management systems
- information systems as a managerial tool
- transfer of technology among developing countries to promote health
  for all

AGENDA ITEM 2

DO HEALTH SECTOR REFORMS PRODUCE SUSTAINABLE HEALTH BENEFITS?

Financing health services
- sustainable sources of financing for health services
- effectiveness of community health financing schemes
- role of donor support in health reforms
- user fees
- national health insurance, private health insurance
- community insurance schemes
- national and international donor contributions
- financial investment based on sector analysis and optional ap-
  praisal

Changes in service delivery
- prioritisation of service delivery in the health sector
- integrated health systems approach to health reform
- private partnership and primary health care as tools to achieving
  equality and quality in health sector reforms
- role of partnerships with traditional medical practices in health
  reforms
- impact of community participation in the administration and sched-
  uling of health promotion and health care
- essential health packages
- integrated services
- quality assurance
- models of health sector reforms for multi island states.

Do reforms improve health status?
- sustainable health systems
- improvement of health status and quality of life
- providing equity in access, while trying to enhance efficiency
- measuring the efficacy of health reforms
- the ethics, effectiveness and efficacy of health systems
- cultural perceptions of health and well-being.