AFRO-NETS> Essential booklists (7)

Essential booklists (7)
-----------------------

Dear All

I cannot agree more with Dr Richard Laing on this issue. There is no
doubt that Goodman and Gilman, "The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeu-
tics" as suggested in booklists 2 (and related texts) are very good
textbooks. However, the cost may be equal to one month's salary of some
professionals in most developing countries. Therefore the "Manual of
Drugs and Therapeutics" of Mohan Joshi and Ramesh Adhikari from Nepal
is a better option for us from developing countries. I saw the book re-
cently and have ordered some few copies as I found the book very good
for teaching our Pharmacy students, a well as Medical students.

In addition to essential booklists (4), there are other manuals from
WHO on Training Health Workers. Other useful information resources are
the "Essential Drugs Monitor", a Manual on "Guide to good prescribing",
(WHO/DAP/94. 11) and "A manual for training interns on concept of es-
sential drugs and rationalised drug use". I have been using these in-
formation resources and have adapted them as appropriate and have found
them very useful for teaching Medical, Pharmacy, Pharmacy Technicians
and Primary Health Workers at both undergraduate and postgraduate
level. The former resources can be requested from:

WHO Publication Office,
CH-1211 Geneva 27
Switzerland

for a very small fee or free of charge as the case may be. The latter
can be obtained from:

Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research,
Pontichery, 605006
India

Moreover, training manuals developed by the Zimbabwe Essential Drugs
Action Programme (Dr Richard Laing made a big contribution as ZEDAP
Training Officer), I believe, could be useful for Primary Health Care
workers in other developing countries, and could either be used as they
are or adapted as the case may be. Examples of these modules are:

- Cancer information for PHC workers;
- History taking and Examination;
- Acute medical conditions;
- Sexually transmitted diseases;
- Obstetrics and breast feeding;
- Surgery for Rural health Centres;
- Gynaecology and family planning;
- Paediatrics;
- Psychiatry;
- Dispensing drugs;
- Ordering and stock taking.

These modules can be requested from:

The Pharmacy Directorate,
Ministry of Health and Child Welfare,
P.O. Box CY 84, Causeway,
Harare/Zimbabwe

--
Ossy MJ Kasilo, Pharm D, PhD
Associate Professor in Clinical Pharmacy & Drug and Toxicology,