AFRO-NETS> Advice and Assistance required - Ethiopia (2)

Advice and Assistance required - Ethiopia (2)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 Dr. Alemseged Janka <jihs@telecom.net.et> from
Jimma Institute of Health Sciences wrote:

> Advice and Assistance required - Ethiopia
>
> I am sending this inquiry seeking professional advise about a patient
> I am following over the last two years.

> My case is a 30 years of age black female patient from the horn of
> Africa who presented about two years ago for pain on the left side of
> the neck just under the angle of the mandible....

Dear Dr Janka,

Lady with Neck Swelling

I strongly suspect this lady to be RV positive with the history of fun-
gal infection in the mouth.

The swelling sounds to me like a deep, lymph node abscess and I would
suggest aspirating it under local anaesthesia. I am sure you will find
pus. Has she any other nodes in the neck specially a mid-line submental
node (Ramotswa sign)? It could also be an infected branchial cyst or
even an infected dermoid cyst.

As long as it is not pulsating, I see no danger in aspirating and it
should give you a clue.

Ian Kennedy
ENT Surgeon
U.K.